HTML Headings tags, are used to differentiate the
headings and sub-headings of a page from the rest of the content.
By using Heading Tags, we differentiate between web content.
How HEADING Tags Increase SEO ?
- Heading tags has an impact on both the SEO and usability of your site. The question is how?
Search engines generally give heading tags more weight and importance over other headings which are created using other simple tags like <b></b> , <i></i> , <u></u> or <strong></strong> so it usually improves your Search Engine ranking when you use it correctly .
- From a designer point of view the main purpose of categorizing your content with different headings so that your design become more user-friendly and people will get a notion about your website more easily by just reading the Sub-headings.
- What you must remember is that SEO can sometimes come at a compromise to user
friendliness – or rather people’s willingness to jump through hoops to increase their ranking, results in a compromise. In your example, a user simply wants to know what the page is about (i.e. the ‘boring’ words you mentioned), but to optimize for search engines you must cram some keywords in, which may hamper the user’s experience.
- In My Opinion Your H1 should ideally always describe the contents of the page. This is it’s intended purpose, and the best rule of thumb in these situations. If it’s not describing your page then you’re doing something wrong.
Small Description About Heading tags
- Type of Heading Tags:
The six different HTML headings Approx-size
<h1>This is heading 1</h1> 36px
<h2>This is heading 2</h2> 24px
<h3>This is heading 3</h3> 21px
<h4>This is heading 4</h4> 18px
<h5>This is heading 5</h5> 16px
<h6>This is heading 6</h6> 14px
Size according to major browsers:
IE7 IE8 FF2 FF3 Opera Safari3.1
H1 24pt 2em 32px 32px 32px 32px
H2 18pt 1.5em 24px 24px 24px 24px
H3 13.55pt 1.17em 18.733px 18.71px 18px 19px
H4 n/a n/a n/a n/a n/a n/a
H5 10pt 0.83em 13.266px 13.28px 13px 13px
H6 7.55pt 0.67em 10.733px 10.71px 10px 11px
<h1> defines the most and <h2> ,<h3> ,<h4>, <h5>, <h6> the least important heading. WHY?
- <h1> The H1 tag is the most important heading because it’s the highest level tag that shows what
your specific page is about. Search engines generally give this tag more weight over other
headings,so it usually improves your search engine ranking.
- <h2> to <h6> These tags are also important but not as important to the search engines as your H1 tag. Unlike the H1 tag, you may have multiple H2, H3, H4, H5, and H6 sub-headings.Think of these sub-headings as ways of organizing the content on your page for your readers more than for the search engines. These headings should also contain important keywords and help organize your content into sections, so readers can scan your page and decide if it’s something they’re interested in reading.
How Can I See if my Website Uses H1 Tags and Other Headings?
- You can simply see if your pages are using heading tags by following these steps:
1. Open your Internet browser and go to the URL of the page you want to check
2. Click ‘view’ then ‘source.’ A new window will open displaying the HTML code
3. Click ‘edit’ then ‘find.’
4. Type in <h1 to <h6 . and click ‘find next’
5. This will now highlight the sections of your site that are using the H1 tag
6. Follow the same steps for h2, h3, h4, h5 and h6
Must Remember To Put These Tags For Good Use For Better SEO